Saturday, November 3, 2007

When Daddy Watches the Kids...

Bad things happen when Daddy watches the children in our house. This past week I was so sick I was literally wishing for death for sweet relief. So on Tuesday when my husband came home from work I was sure that he would step up and offer to take over childcare duties so I could get some much-needed rest. Nope.


I finally guilted him into taking the kids outside for some playtime and when they came back inside (I'm going to point out that they spent a total of maybe 35-40 minutes out there, tops) both kids were completely soaked from playing in the hose, dirty from making mud soup, and crying because they were cold.


So I reluctantly got up from my place on the couch and put their wet, filthy clothes in the washer while bathing them in the kitchen sink. With the clothes being washed and the kids cleaned up I felt like I could sit down again. I should have known that was a BIG mistake. Rick claimed he was getting drinks for the kids and himself, but when I heard chaos in the kitchen I looked to see
what was going on and he was no where to be found. I was not the least bit surprised to find him in the bathroom (husbands seem to spend a great deal of time in that particular room). After making sure he saw the eye roll I gave him I headed back towards the kitchen to round up the kids...Too Late.


Sarah was enthusiastically stomping Goldfish crackers into the floor at lightning pace. How children manage to create such big messes in so little time and with so few supplies, I'll never figure out. I went to get the vacuum-meanwhile my sweet 12 month old, Patrick, was busy emptying the Tupperware cabinet and chewing sidewalk chalk. Goldfish and sidewalk chalk drool make an interesting substance that likes to get stuck into grout. And not come out. Ever. The included picture shows a part of the mess I got to enjoy. Now, I knew better than to leave two toddlers in an unattended room for more than 11 seconds, but on this day I was just so sick all I wanted was a little peace. My less than 45 minute "break" (that's what Rick likes to call it) from the kiddies wound up taking me an hour and a half to clean up!

No comments: