Sunday, August 15, 2010

Last Thursday my hubby and I packed up the truck and headed to South FL for our niece's wedding. On Friday the five of us donned our swimsuits and went to the beach first thing in the morning. Just us, towels, sunblock, and the beach-that is definitely the happiest I can get (okay, okay...Disney World is a tie).

The rest of the weekend passed; visited family and went out to eat quite a bit. The wedding was on Sunday and our plan was to leave early Monday morning as Rick had to work that night. I dressed the kids and they looked extremely cute in their fancy clothes. I made sure to take lots of photos so I would always remember just how sweet they were at this age.

Five minutes before we left the wedding venue I looked down at the table where I had laid my phone literally two minutes prior...GONE. We had no choice but to give up searching; it was obviously stolen and not coming back. I bawled the entire way back to my mother-in-law's house. Sobbing like I haven't in a very long time. It wasn't the loss of the $500 iPhone, not the money that was lost in apps and music. It was the pictures. All of them just....gone. My youngest child's memories from the time of his birth...just gone. Like they had never happened. I am an idiot and haven't backed up my phone in ages so there is no way to recover them. The only pictures I have of precious moments with my baby are on Facebook. There were so many on my phone that I never shared on Facebook-his first smile, first tooth, first skinned knee, first EVERYTHING. We never think we will forget, but we do. All those little moments that make up motherhood. Siblings sharing hugs, chocolate-covered faces, playing in the rain. Things that would not interest your "friends" online, but that meant the world to you as a mom. They fade in your memory; that's why we take photos. I have not gotten over it yet.

Thanks to that loser taking my property I was also locked out of my e-mail and Facebook accounts. So there I was: no phone, no e-mail, nothing! Literally completely cut off from everyone! I didn't know what to do-I was used to constantly being connected. I had become one of those people who are dependent on technology-I don't know anyone's phone number or e-mail address by heart; in the past I could recite dozens of contacts...not anymore. My phone contained my ENTIRE life. It was a wake-up call. When I laid down at night I would pray, "Please God, I NEED my stuff back-bring it back!" After the fist couple of nights my prayer changed to, "Thank you God for forcing me to realize how I have been managing my life. I wish you could have picked a cheaper way, but...thanks."

After days of pleading with Yahoo they agreed to grant me access to my account. From there I was able to get into my FB and look at the pictures that I no longer have. I was taught a valuable lesson: BACK UP YOUR PHOTOS!! Once they are gone they are GONE-forever. Also, while it is fun and convenient to be connected at all times, it is all too easy to get wrapped up in it. That week without the ability to be online was awful! I felt lost!! But my kids and I spent more time together. Don't get me wrong-I spend ALL of my time with my kids. However, it was different because I knew there was no use in wandering over to the laptop. I didn't have a phone to turn on and zone out with. So our time was uninterrupted. I don't spend much time online at one sitting. It's too dangerous in this house. But I do check my phone a lot...maybe out of boredom with the daily hum-drum, maybe because I am lonely. Whatever the reason, I never thought much of it until I wasn't able to do it and I saw how much I accomplished.

I really do try my best to engage with my children: we build hotels with blocks, finger paint, bake cookies, all of those fun things. But this past week I went through clothes, caught up the laundry, cleaned closets. Simplified.

I did replace my iPhone. (YIPPEE!) But now it will just be an awesome, fun phone...not a distraction from the things I am trying to avoid in my life.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

if u want ur phone to be fun....try virtual families! its the BEST APP EVER!!!!

Unknown said...

srry u lost ur phone

Unknown said...

luke is SO cute....