Monday, October 10, 2011

Just Another Ordinary Day

This morning we were all woken up to the sound of thunder and lightning overhead. It sounded like it was trying to get inside. Just a few minutes before 6 am the house became an eerie quiet and black dark as the power lines couldn't take anymore abuse.

Many candles and tears later we decided that alternating locations to watch the rain fall wasn't cutting it (how did they do it "back then"!?) so we went for a drive around the neighborhood to see where the power outage was coming from. We were so happy to see wonderful cable guys out there in the still pouring rain working hard to restore our electricity.

Later in the morning I remembered Luke had an appointment with the pediatrician. Since Rick didn't have to work until the afternoon he stayed home with the older kids so I could have a peaceful trip with my youngest. (In Rick's words: this was my "alone time". THANKS.)

While I was signing Luke in he went into the little playhouse in the waiting room, and I turned around to go sit nearby. He had that look on his face-sure enough upon closer inspection I saw he peed his pants. As nonchalantely as I could, I took his hand and asked for paper towels (since the bathroom didn't have any-grrr), cleaned up the puddle, and wiped it with Germ-X from the handy container they so considerately place on the counter. After that was cleaned up it was time to clean up the child. By that time he was saying, "Cold!" and walking like Frankenstein so I was pretty sure my nonchalance wasn't fooling anyone. Oh...did I mention it was still down-pouring rain? Yeah.

Luke and I got completely drenched while we were at the car trying to change him into clean clothes. Clean clothes? Why, yes, I always have spare clothes in the car for such unfortunate circumstances. However, as I searched in the rain for said clothes I realized my super-duper helpful hubby cleaned out my car for me. I looked for anything, and to my relief there was one solitary diaper leftover from before underwear days. I "nonchalantly" strolled back into the office, soaking wet, hair matted, and half naked child. Luke actually seemed quite happy and relaxed sitting in a waiting room surrounded by people in nothing but a t-shirt and diaper.

When it was time for his shot, the nurse remarked, "See, you already have your pants off for me", and I responded, "Yes, I planned it that way".

After Rick left for work I got to work on some decorations for Patrick's upcoming birthday party. This is no easy task with three eager helpers whose definition of "help" is thoroughly destroy all of my hard work. I actually managed to finish one project so while I was cleaning up I decided to let the kids go outside (since they have been cooped up for days due to the rain). It was merely sprinkling at this point, and no lightning. Everything is okay, right? Wrong! They got the brilliant idea to add the water hose into the mix and came gut-wrenchingly close to ruining 3 1/2 hours of work on the party prop.

Fortunately for me it was late enough to corral them inside and feed, bathe, and ready them for their "camp out". They camp in the living room when Rick works at night and stay up late watching shows they normally don't get to watch. Finally-at 9 they are passed out...which is exactly what I am about to do! Tomorrow will be another day; better get rest! ;)


No comments: