Friday, November 5, 2010

Not A Baker

We decided to make cookies since the kids really wanted to go to the park, but I didn't feel like getting dressed beyond my embarrassing "home" clothes. It was chilly today so it felt like the perfect thing to do; open the windows and doors and let the oven warm the kitchen while we smell yummy cookies baking and eat more batter than we should.

I followed the recipe to the letter-did everything exactly as it was written. Just like I always do. And just like always-they turned out terribly. I cannot even describe my cookies...Let me try: they are nasty looking, but taste okay (most of the time!). They are somehow an unnatural combination of too soft and too hard while taking on a heinous shape that does NOT in any way resemble a cookie. Usually what we wind up with is little chunks of somewhat-tasty hard (yet soft?)...stuff.

Sarah wouldn't even try them. She looked at the mangled mess on the counter and made a face and walked away, thoroughly disgusted. My sweet middle child decided to eat them, but judging from the pile I found behind the couch I'm guessing he wasn't as impressed as he led me to believe. Luke just kept grabbing them and marching directly to the trash can. Once again my hours of mixing, measuring, and trying so so hard was fruitless. Cookies are the one thing I cannot ever get right no matter what.

**Update: I decided to let the older children watch TV for a bit before bed under the condition that they would watch in silence. (They baby is already asleep-for now.) Par for the course-they blew it and I made them go to bed with the TV off. Patrick was very perturbed by this and started to cry. In between sobs he told me, "YOUR COOKIES ARE YUCKY!! I TRIED THEM AND THEY ARE YUCK!!". HAHAHA...I swear I am not making that up. I stopped writing my post about my inability to bake cookies and my son insulted them as the worst thing he could think of to say to me while he was angry. heehee Just had to add that.

1 comment:

SHEAFmom said...

This series of video WILL help, I promise http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB-KVveLp3k&feature=related

:-) hmmmm, I'll be your taste tester anytime.