Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Chore App Shout-Out

I have been searching Pinterest for chore chart ideas for literally months. I needed something that would actually WORK. I have made schedules and chore charts many times over the years, and it never fails-within 37 minutes of creating and displaying them they are forgotten, ignored, or otherwise useless.
Finally, my chore chart dilemma has been solved! The answer came in the form of an app by Appdads. Chore Cards features a boy and girl tiger completing their tasks. It is customizable and this is the seriously awesome part:
Once you customize chores for your child(ren) you are then able to email the list and print scan cards onto card stock. The kids (or yourself) can then scan the completed task for a point reward (also fully personalize able ). They can redeem their earned points for rewards.
We have been using this system for just a couple of weeks. I honesty thought once the novelty wore off, you know, after a scan or two, the chores would stop being completed. Nope. It has become a habit and I have actually had to re-assign days to include everyday (as opposed to only certain days) because they are so eager to earn points.
Examples of my rewards are 30 minutes on Wii, 30 minutes on iPad, a trip to the Dollar Store to pick out a prize, and ice cream. If they can go an entire day without fighting they get the mother load 50 points and earn cash to spend or save as they choose. This has yet to happen. Almost certainly never will.
A few things I do not like about the app:
It is too easy for young kids to accidentally reset the chore lists, or rewards, etc. I wish there were some sort of password or...something to prevent this. I also had trouble printing onto business card template which the instructions provided. I am sure someone more technologically inclined could figure this out, but I opted to just print on card stock color coded for each child.
Here is the link to the app; I hope you find is as helpful as I did/do!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chore-cards/id510270097?mt=8







No comments: