Monday, January 21, 2013

The Dishwasher


My husband generously watched the children so I could meet up with a friend. We chatted for a long time and walked around the lake. It was much needed and if you know me personally you know I just don't do things like that...pretty much ever.

When I returned to the house I found that the older kids hadn't budged from their technology, number 3 was chillin in the hot tub with a nutritious bag of cheese doodles (seriously), and number 4 was scooting around butt naked. This is actually a win in my book because I have left and returned in the past to find the state of affairs to be much, much worse.

I am fairly sure the following narration of the thoughts in my head happens to other moms as well. Either that, or I have a raging case of ADD:

I got to work putting things back in order and de-zombifying the two eldest children, de-cheese doodling the third, and de-nakeding the fourth.
After that I tackled the house, which honestly wasn't too bad.
I had started the dishwasher before I left so I began unloading and putting the now clean dishes away while baby was sitting on the floor playing in the Tupperware cabinet. As I sorted silverware I couldn't help but notice how messy the drawer had become. I emptied and straightened it. But it wasn't good enough. So naturally, I busted out the cereal boxes, tape, scissors, and wrapping paper and "built" little compartments. But 15 minutes into the project I got distracted by all the clutter so I had to put some things away in order to give my "drawer mess" the space it needed. My hand came into contact with a box of brownies....mmm, brownies....we need brownies....they can bake while I work. The kids caught wind of the brownie-making and fought like starving dogs over the bowl. Brownie mix on the floor, yes I need to get that right away before it gets tracked onto the carpet. On my hands and knees cleaning the brownie mix somehow, before I realize what is happening, I've made my way around the entire room with the towel. The bowl....spoons in the sink...the dishwasher. That's right, I should finish unloading he dishwasher so I can put the dirty dishes in there. Back to the dishes. Oh plates....I should make the kids a snack since I have neglected them all morning. Ahh, more dirty dishes, I really need to finish putting those dishes away.....oh cups...yeah, I'm thirsty, I should make some tea. Mmm, tea. Let me put this in the fridge. Ew that shelf is pretty sticky, I'll just wipe it down. Oh what the heck, I'm already here I may as well wipe down the other shelves. Yikes, what is that it looks kind of like bird poo...birds are creepy...the way they look at you...grr stop thinking about birds and get back to work. Well, before I can get back to work I need to change diapers and entertain little people. Well, that was fun--Back to my messy drawer project. Wow, this is looking so much better! Almost finished, yay. Hmm I will put the straws right here, huh. Looks pretty empty; we definitely need to restock the straws. Let me just jot that down on my list. My list. Yeah I should take a quick walk around the house and see what else needs to go on the list-good idea! Back to the kitchen. Woohoo look at that organization. I'm stoked. All that is left to do is empty the sink of these dirty dishes...oh wait, that's right I need to finish putting the clean ones away first. Wow, look at the time. How in the world did it take me 3 hours to unload the stinking dishwasher!?!?

3 comments:

cpole said...

Reminded me of "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" :)

cpole said...

and of myself :)

Unknown said...

Hint you shood try giving one two and three chore's it might help